Round three of the machine tests for “Write me for Art” has finally yielded some results I’m happy with! More, I did some sample parts for covering/framing the machine embroidery to give it the commercial, generic, electronic device (+ voyeur?) feel I’m after. This half of the piece I’m now very pleased with and I feel like I can keep going from here knowing what I want to do.
Yesterday I was still really wrestling with how I wanted to install the hand-embroidered work. I met with another fantastic lady and got some great feedback. It’s funny how it’s rarely a case of someone offering a suggestion that I then take- never that I can remember. It’s more that when certain people can’t connect with a piece or aren’t seeing what I want to pull off it tells me where I need to connect, lean, etc. Sometimes it’s just explaining the piece to a new person and the way you need to explain it to them (as that person rather than some other person) helps concentrate what you’re really after and guides you to a better method.
In this case I knew I wanted people to be surrounded in the space by the handwritten ones. I wanted them to have a presence like a crowd of people. I wanted you to walk through them and encounter them, look them in the eye, look again, not see the writing until you found a new angle. I’d been wrestling with how that would happen. Now I think I found a way to do that. The exact detail of how I physically attach the written part to the forms I want is still in the air, but I’m nearly there. With fiber, every method has history and symbolism. Just doing the most practical physical method may not be the way (though it could be). I have to think of the connotations of different methods and their visual impacts.