From the Studio

thoughts on art and process in action from a contemporary artist

Digital Girl

leave a comment »


This piece came from a quick rough sketch of an old master painting (1700s) of a young woman.  I then ran it through several steps of Photoshop and broke it down into a binary format.  I have a series of these Binary Drawings, but I noticed at some point that the detail images were often more compelling that the whole image. What was most important to me was that some intense humanity came through all those layers of process and interpretation and was still palpable at the end of it.

It later occurred to me that they absolutely needed to be woven, since part of my attraction to weaving is the fact that looms were arguably the first computers (Jaquard looms were the basis for early computer punch-cards).  In theory you can weave a program.  I may try that later too.

Once I made that connection, the logical material of choice was computer wire.

Man is it hard to find black and white computer wire of the same thickness!  These are slightly different, but they work together.  I had to split the wires.  If I think I will like the look and have the budget for it I may try this in a larger weave at some point.

computer wire weaveRight now I’m doing all the estimations that go into a weaving (threads per cm., etc.) and working out the logistics for a loom/frame.

The frame will be transparent.  It shouldn’t be part of the black/white binary aspect.  I’m going to use some thick acrylic and laser-cut it at Techshop into the right loom-frame.  I can give myself indentations to work with to space the wires properly.  I just worked out how I will attach each warp wire.  High quality black electrical tape wrapping each end together in a neat overlap should do it.  the white ends are more problematic.  The weft is normally one piece going back and forth, creating a finished edge.  In this case one piece goes in for each row due to the stiffness and flatness.  So… open edges.  I think I like the look of that and a little discrete glue should secure them.

Right now I’m trying to decide if I sandwich the loom/frame with more clear frames front and back.  When I see the finished loom I’ll be able to tell.

Of course now I’m itching to get to the laser cutter, but sadly all 4 are booked solid until next Monday.  In the meantime I can create a file to print/cut the acrylic frame from and work on other projects.

Advertisements

Written by marycoreymarch

March 28, 2012 at 2:29 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: