I got in a little time on Wednesday and more yesterday. The walls and alley floor are beginning to take shape. More layers required, but it goes. This painting is feeling good in its progression. It’s not fast (not with the amount of layers and detail it will get), but it’s going well. One of my many source images for alleyways already had a perfect solution to the perspective problem to work directly from. It was a larger alley opening onto a wide street with a building across the street at the correct scale. So the suggestion of the street at the end, given a few more cues should do the trick. I also wanted doorways that were shut. One source image had a doorway that was actually concreted over, and I ended up using that one.
The main thing that was important to me was the visuals rather than correct perspective, but I like doing both. I wanted the visual of the perspective being at the angle they are, the sense of possibly being in a dead-end, and possibly not, the size and shape of the windows behind reflecting the sky, and the sense that the mother figure is both possible but somehow detached and larger than life (and slightly scaled up from the figure she is holding).