Sunday night I finished installing the latest iteration of Identity Tapestry. I was given an extra 3 feet at the last minute. This caused me some last minute gut-wretching because it was uncertain for almost two days and I had to prepare to do either and didn’t know if my preparations to make it larger were for nothing and I was losing sleep and toasting my fingers for those extra feet. I had no doubt that longer was significantly better for this piece and well worth the effort.
Despite the difficulties in working with an audience, I was more than glad to have help in panel-building and hauling down to LA. I couldn’t have done it alone.
We made a fancy mounting system for the panel and now it functions almost like a painting. Suddenly the piece can come off the wall and be moved as a whole. It changes everything. It reminds me of the way early paintings were mainly murals and how the first panel-paintings must have been a revelation.
I love the basket. It looked perfect. I re-worked it quite a bit from the picture in the last post since I thought it was in danger of emulating a certain Du Champ piece. Re-worked it looked like it was always meant to be part of the piece. It adds the element of touch I was wanting- a more organic form working in contrast aside the more technical-looking parts. It is meant to be a kind of nest or womb, a fit opposite to the stones at the end of the strings which I feel are more like tiny memorials. My daughter delighted me by asking if it was an egg or a nest. I think when the yarn is used it will look like it is leaping out of the basket. I can’t wait to see it in action.