I’ve just un-molded the head and thankfully things went more or less alright in the kiln. The defects that happened are in places where they don’t matter (under the hair line). No fractures, no breaks. There are a few discolorations inside the face, possibly from stray material in the broken glass I used. In future I’ll know not to use glass someone else has broken- unknowns are too likely.
A trace of carbon, probably from some wax trapped in a small corner caused some discoloration on the tip of the mask’s bird-tail (seen in the photo).
Still-= the parts that matter are clear. I was expecting and even hoping for a little distortion in the image, so bubbles are fine. I was actually planning to warp the images I projected. I’m waiting to see how much the glass warps the image before I start though.
She came out well.
One thought I’m having is that even if I sandblast the areas besides the mask and eyes it may still be too transparent and too clear rather than white. I might get a better effect if I used a thin layer of oil with wax medium worked into the skin. Have to see how well (or if) it will hold though. I imagine that once it’s sandblasted the surface will take wax nicely. It would give it a little more opacity without going opaque and a more skin-like texture.